Guaranteed original. Complete & intact. This is an original Durham Light Infantry Regiment collar badge for sale. In good condition. Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military badges for sale including other Durham Light Infantry Regiment collar badges.
For more original collar badges for sale, click here.
The Durham Light Infantry (DLI) was an infantry regiment of the British Army from 1881 to 1968. It was formed by the amalgamation of the 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) and the 106th Regiment of Foot (Bombay Light Infantry) along with the militia and rifle volunteers of County Durham. Following a series of mergers since 1968, the regiment's lineage is continued today by The Rifles. As part of the wide Childers Reforms of the British Army regiments, in 1881 the 68th Regiment of Foot and the 106th Regiment of Foot become the 1st and 2nd Battalions of The Durham Light Infantry, both had their depots in Sunderland. The Militia battalions, the 1st Durham Fusiliers and 2nd North Durham became the 3rd and 4th Battalions The Durham Light Infantry, with their depots in Barnard Castle and Durham. The five Volunteer Force battalions of Durham Rifle Volunteers became the 1st to 5th Volunteer Battalions Durham Light Infantry. The 1st volunteer battalion was based in and around Stockton-on-Tees and Darlington, the 2nd at Bishop Auckland, the 3rd at Sunderland, the 4th in and around Durham and the 5th at Gateshead.
In 1884 the Depot moved from Sunderland to Fenham Barracks in Newcastle which it shared with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. In 1908 the 3rd and 4th battalions were recast as the 3rd (reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions in a draft finding role. The 1st to 5th Volunteer Battalions were renumbered as the 5th to 9th Battalions Durham Light Infantry of the Territorial Force. The 5th formed part of the York and Durham Brigade and the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions forming the Durham Light Infantry Brigade (eventually the 150th (York and Durham) Brigade and 151st (Durham Light Infantry) Brigade respectively of the 50th (Northumbrian) Division). During the First World War the DLI raised (or absorbed) 43 battalions with 22 seeing active service overseas - on the Western Front, in Italy, Egypt, Salonika and India.
Please see our other items for more original WW1, WW2 & post war British military collar badges for sale including other Durham Light Infantry Regiment collar badges.